[blparent] punishment

Nikki daizies304 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 22:01:51 UTC 2012

Hi all. Yes I’m back again. How would you discipline a six year old boy who doesn’t listen and do what he’s told? I haven’t figured out what will change his behavior. He pushed another child, in school today and Friday. He lied to me last night by saying he’ll be good today. We even had him saying “I know I can, I know I can, said the engine that did.” I’m out of my witts end. The past few weeks have been horrible. I can’t understand why.

The teacher uses a sliding scale for the behavior. You come to class, you start with an orange. Your behavior throughout  the day determines the outcome. So you can either do great and get a green card, but you can slide back to orange, which is a “ready to work” day. Ah, but there’s the possible yellow, which is a “behavior needs to be worked on".” You could go to red, which is the worst. I almost forgot, after the green is blue, “the best behavior, you’re like a role model.” One thing, if you get a red or blue, that’s it. You can’t slide off.

Now, my son has been bringing home yellows and the past two days including today, were red. I’ve made the decision to take all of his toys out of his room, including stuffed animals and having him go to his room after school until he fixes his behavior. For each day he brings home a good report and I’m not just talking an orange, I will give him one toy back.

I’m tired of spanking him. It doesn’t seem to work for me. What do you think?