[blparent] We're fine.

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Jul 23 01:08:14 UTC 2012

Thanks for the good wishes.  I don't know what my problem is.  I've still
been getting panic attacks every time I have to leave home, where my
breathing gets really fast and I feel shaky and queasy, and a couple of
times I've started crying out of nowhere.  I feel selfish for being so upset
when, thank God, I wasn't directly affected.

The news is just filled with tragic stories.  The youngest person killed was
a six-year-old girl.  Her mom is in critical condition in the hospital, and
they're not telling her about her daughter for fear she'll give up the
fight.  There was an interview with a man who told how his son got stuck
under one of the seats in the theater, and people were yelling at him to
leave the kid, but he wouldn't.  He finally got his son to turn his head so
he could be pulled out.  There was an athlete who had big dreams of a
college scholarship; he's now paralyzed.  There was a young man who was shot
in the eye, but not killed.  There's a husband in critical condition while
his wife is ready to go into labor any day.  The three-month old baby was
only grazed, thank God.  A friend of mine has a friend who is in the Middle
East right now, and she says it's ironic that her home town experienced such
violence in a "safe" country while she's "safe" in a dangerous place.  But
it's one interview after another.  The 24-year-old med student who is
responsible bought all of his guns legally, got body armor and even a helmet
online, went into the theater, propped the door open, then left to change
into the armor and returned.  He said he couldn't see anybody in particular,
he just threw a tear gas canister and then fired a hundred rounds into the
crowd.  I've finally had to just shut off the TV and radio so I don't go to
pieces.

Life goes on.  We have an appointment where my stepson's parents and I will
go to meet a panel of experts and answer questions, moving toward a
diagnosis of Asperger's or autism for my stepson.  He registers for school
Tuesday afternoon.  I don't know where the summer went!

Jo Elizabeth

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a
song." Maya Angelou