[blparent] leaving family to get a dog guide

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 03:39:18 UTC 2012

Yes, thankfully a lot of dog guide schools are in pretty cool areas with
lots to see and do that could be either costly or free depending on what is
done.  I know that at GDB family could visit for times before class in the
morning starting at 8:15 in the morning, at lunch time for an hour and
any-time after 4:30 at night.  They used to be more strict about having to
be there for meal times but have become much more lax about this and
understanding for folks individual needs.  Even for the couple of night
routes that are done, GDB is relaxed enough to probably be pretty cool with
family hanging around on the side-lines as long as they're not in the way of
other working teams or interfering with the lesson for the client.  After
the afternoon lessons let out on Saturdays clients could get together with
family and all of Sunday is free as well.  The only major thing to be
considered is that until graduation the dogs are not permitted to be taken
off campus by the client so one wouldn't want to leave their dog for very
long and would have to do most of their visiting with family on the school's
campus which is quite limiting in some respects but not a big deal
especially for only a two week program.

Erin