[blparent] Can't keep in a bubble

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Sun Jun 10 17:29:32 UTC 2012

Whether we are blind or we are sighted, all of us want to keep our kiddos
safe.  That is true for all of us. But life happens and whether our kids are
jumping on a trampoline or riding their bikes or running across a park, they
will, guaranteed, get hurt.
It doesn't matter if you  live in the middle of a big city or out in the
country, whether yor child is at home, at school or confined to their room.
Some how they find a way to hurt themselves.  It's called life.
Like I said, last weekend Gab slammed into our humidifier, cut her toes,
banged her head on the wall and through all that, smashed my mother's
precious bird clock.  That was in our house and today, over a week later,
her toe is still raw and the nail just came off.  Kids are kids.
My mother used to say, don't let her do this, don't let her do that, she'll
get hurt.
I used to say, we cannot and I will not keep her in a bubble.   She needs to
learn and to play and to understand what it means to be careful.