[blparent] Explaining vision loss to children

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Mar 1 04:46:31 UTC 2012

That's so interesting.  When I was really young, I'm guessing about three or
four, I remember believing that all babies were born blind, sort of like
puppies or kittens with their eyes closed.  Some day, I figured, my sight
would come.  I had no doubt of that because my older brother could see just
fine.  Then my little sister came along, and for some time, I assumed she
was blind like me.  I guess it's strange to have such vivid memories at that
young age, but I remember exactly when I figured out that my baby sister
could see.  My dad put a mobile up in her crib, and I was curious about it
and wanted to know what it was for.  He told me that my sister could look up
at the mobile and kick at it.  I was insanely jealous because, in the way I
saw the world at the time, my baby sister had taken my turn.  I should have
gotten my sight before she did.