[blparent] Teaching society about blindness

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Mon Mar 5 18:14:22 UTC 2012

Eric, do you have vision?

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Eric Calhoun
Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:30 AM
To: blparent at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [blparent] Teaching society about blindness

I've really had to refrain from commenting on this thread, until now:

Before I was involved in NFB or ACB, I was enveloped in our local
organizations, Braille Institute and the Junior Blind of America, or Junior
Blind Foundation.  I had to learn many facts, and unlearn many myths.

Now I'm not gonna bore you with useless mumbo-jumbo, but here is what boils
down to, friends.:

Never stop teaching sighted people, and other blind people.  Many of you
know my passions.  You love my posts on Facebook, those of you who are on my
page.  But I am always teaching everyone, including parents.  Is it
time-consuming?  Yes.  Is it stressful?  Yes.  Is it rewarding?  Yes.

I've  learned parents come through with a sense of optimism, rather than a
sense of anguish.  They want to learn, not just to savor the moment.  A lot
of you are dog lovers, and it helps you grow.  Plus, it's an ice breaker.
When I run into females, even blind parents, I often break the ice with what
I call a "conversation starter."  For people I meet, I tell them about my
blindness after I introduce myself.  I tell them to keep their eyes on the
prize.

I'm also likely to speak briefly with children.  In my high-school days, I
spoke on the subject of blindness: how I want to be treated, what others
should know about me, so forth, and so on.  ..  ..

I got a lot of compliments from the North Torrance High students and
teachers.  And even the newbies said hello!

Never, ever get frustrated  Your kids are here for you.  KIDS, .. .. ..
know.  Don't be afraid to laugh a little, .., .., and cry a little.

I get frustrated, too!  But I never, .., .., hate, .., .., being, .., ..,
blind.

Even our dogs can sense something is wrong.  Whining is one way they want
you to pay attention.  Hey!  .. .. .. If you talk to them, they'll, .. ..
talk to you.  Dogs, .., .., care, .., .., too.

Eric
Camp Bloomfield distribution list!  Family Camp!  Adult Camp!  Blind
children's camps, too!  Just put in the subject line, "Eric, I'd like to
join your Camp Bloomfield list!"  .. .. Want to visit San Diego?  .. Want to
move to San Diego?  .. .. It's the new America's Finest City Distribution
list.  A city, .., that is both blind and sighted friendly!
.. .. The baseball list: eric at pmpmail.com!  .. Also on Facebook!