[blparent] Teaching society about blindness

Tay Laurie j.t.laurie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:15:14 UTC 2012

Usually, I don't mention my blindness unless it's asked about,. It's not a
sticking my head in the sand approach, it's the same attitude I adopted with
my wheelchair and other things. I see my disabilities as inconveniences, not
a hindrance. Ok, I may never be able to drive or run a mile for a while, if
ever, but that's ok. There are other ways of getting around.
If asked how I do such and such, i.e "How do you maneuver around the house?"
I answer in a similar vein to, "Well, how do you?" IF the person says "I
walk", I say, then I wheel, or if it's a very short distance, I walk. I know
where corners are, and unless there's a stray piece of laundry, my husband's
foot, etc in the way, I can usually do it relatively well. I've learned how
to open doors and back up, using the chair's pull as the strength to open
doors if I can't. I also know how to operate my chair, i.e folding footrests
in or tucking arms in, to keep it tight enough to fit through the doroway.
And I still have just enough sight to be able to use sharp knives, and I've
only cut myself once, in the ten years I've done cooking.

I don't say this to brag, but I'm trying to point out that some of the more
obvious questions come from someone who may not have logically thought about
the issues. I had someone in the third grade ask if my eyes were clear. I
made sure they were opened, turned to her and asked, "Well, do they look
clear to you?" Because I wanted her to think about what she'd asked. I know
some folks's eyes lose colour or look damaged, but save for the size being
mismatched, mine don't. I try to teach people to think, not to ask stupid
questions.