[blparent] early pregnancy and food sensitivity?

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:30:27 UTC 2012

When I was pregnant with my son the doctor asked if I drank coffee and I was
a huge coffee lover then but quit for the baby once I knew I was pregnant.
The doc told me that medical professionals encourage no more than 8 ounces
per day if you just can't give it up, but to cut it out entirely if you can.
There are risks involved with the effects of caffeine on the baby.  After
further research I found out that there are correlations between moderate to
heavy caffeine drinking and miscarriage, especially in the first trimester.
Now there are many women who drink coffee through their pregnancies and
things go "just fine", but I'm just telling you what the risks are that I
found out.  Something that a lot of parents don't find out until later in
life is that their child has ADD or ADHD and correlations between drinking
caffeine during pregnancy and these conditions  have also been found.
Remember that this is a developing human being inside of you that is very
susceptible to all substances.  Feeling ill is often times your body's
beautiful way of telling you that it's not good for the baby.  My mom has
been a big smoker since she was 17 years old, but with each of her
pregnancies her body wouldn't let her smoke because she'd get horribly ill
if she tried.  I am glad for that, for sure!  The bottom line is to just try
and be as healthy as you can for you and for the baby.  A rare cup of
coffee, soda or ice cream cone isn't going to hurt anything but daily intake
of these things can have their impact.

Erin