[blparent] Using the Elimination Communication mottle for potty training

Eileen Levin eileenlevin at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 15:06:37 UTC 2012

Love your posts. I've never actually heard of this method of potty training.
For both of my boys I used very different methods of training. I felt that
both boys  were around 3 and a half years old when they suddenly had some
internal need to keep clean. Both my boys figured out what the toilet was
for right away. Asher especially loved using public toilets because they
made an explosive noise when flushing. We kept him in diapers because we
couldn't stand cleaning up the mess after he would pee in his pants, then
race up and down our white carpeted hallway dripping pee and poo as he ran.
It seemed like the sensation of wet pants somehow inspired his inner spirit.
LOL I started with Asher around 2 and a half and at around 3 and a half  my
husband and I looked at each other and said I think he's trained.   My
Second son needed to be trained for preschool at 3 years old. I used the
crash course method. I stripped him of clothing from the waist down, put him
on the potty about every hour which seemed to be the best interval for him.
It was two weeks of crying and  anxiety. After two weeks Ari was trained but
not completely... For another 4 months my husband and I walked on egg
shells.  We  rewarded Ari with a wrapped toy for using the toilet instead of
his pants.  And then one week my husband and I realized that Ari had taken
potty time into his own hands and we no longer had to provide the external
guidance. I weaned Ari off the toys with a boxful left over.
So, I encourage new parents to work with potty training but don't get too
upset if the interest seems to wax and wane. Both my boys had a strange
attachment to their diapers which was hard for me to understand. Both boys
night trained some months after they day trained.  My oldest son still needs
to get up in the middle of the night almost every night in order not to wet
the bed.  Also, wearing diapers seemed to feel more or less the same as
wearing a diaper to both my kids, that is why when I had to use the crash
course method of potty training I removed all clothing from the waist down
to help my son realize something had changed in his world.
My favorite video was Potty Power. Potty Power conveys a very positive
attitude toward training, covers the basics  and is fairly long too.
Best of luck. It's such a relief to not have to use diapers. LOL
Eileen