[blparent] making baby clothes

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Mar 16 06:48:47 UTC 2012

Hi.  First of all, there's no reason you can't make baby clothes if you have
the time and the expertise to do it.  Dresses are fine for baby girls,
especially in the summer months or in warm climates, and they make diapering
convenient.  The dresses usually come with pretty shorts or panties to go
underneath them and cover the diaper.  I would strongly recommend looking
for fabrics that are flame retardant.  Most commercially approved pajamas
for kids have to be flame retardant to be sold in the United States.

If space is a limitation and you want a swing that's low to the ground, try
checking out the cradle swings.  They're lighter, lower, and more portable
than the bigger swings.  In my experience, I couldn't use the cradle swing
for as long with my baby as I used the bigger model because she started to
try and get out of the seat once she was mobile.  But the choice might be
perfect to you since it's built so that the cradle or seat part is only a
few inches off the floor, and the top of the frame is maybe two feet high or
so.  I think the model I had was a Fisher Price, and it had a rainforest
theme with sounds and toys for the baby to bat at.

There is a special laundry soap called Dreff that's made for washing baby
clothes, but it's expensive and, in my opinion, doesn't work so well.  What
I did was to get a name brand detergent--All, to be precise--in the type
that is free of dyes and perfumes.  My child never had a problem with it,
and I'm sensitive to the fumes anyway, so it worked out well for everyone.

You know, I haven't seen any of the old-fashioned rocking type cradles
around for a long time.  I'm wondering if maybe they weren't safe.  My
sister was in one thirty-some years ago, but none of the parents I've come
in contact with now use them.  The crib I used could be raised and lowered,
or there are play yards (Pack and Plays, I think they're called) with cradle
attachments for when the baby is small.

The question of when to move a baby into a separate room will spark a big
debate anywhere.  There are some who have the baby in its own room from the
get-go, and some who choose to co-sleep with the baby in their room, or in
their bed, for months or years.  It's really a personal decision.  At first,
you'll want to make it as easy as possible for getting up at night, so with
your limitations, having a basinet or a play yard in your room might be a
good option.  It really won't become inappropriate, as you say, till you or
your husband or the child decides it's a problem, which could be years down
the line, or weeks.  But this idea that every person in a family has to have
his or her own room was really only advocated in the last generation or so.

Sorry so long, I don't claim to know everything, but I had a zillion
questions before my baby came, too, and it's good to ask.  Don't worry, some
things get easier with time, and then there are other complications to
figure out.

Jo Elizabeth

"How far you go in
life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the
aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the
strong.  Because someday in life you will have been all of these."--George
Washington Carver, 1864-1943, American scientist