[blparent] making baby clothes

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Mar 16 15:54:56 UTC 2012

Hi.  A portable crib or a basinet beside your bed will do just fine for the
first several months.  I think Sarah was well over six months old before she
grew out of the basinet by length, but she was a fairly small baby.  Bigger
babes would of course outgrow the basinet faster.  Sarah's Nanna had a
wooden portable crib at her house that was very low to the ground, and
smaller than a traditional crib, but it had a good thick mattress, unlike
the Pack and Play ones which are just thin pads.  You might ask around for a
portable crib, or search online for one because I'm thinking one like the
kind Nanna had would be perfect.  Sarah slept in that portable crib for over
two years.

Picnic baskets for storage are a great idea.  I still have a basket on the
bar between the kitchen and dining room that holds lotion, a hairbrush, bibs
for those messy days, extra shoes and socks, etc.  There are also stacking
bins that might work because they fit together and make sort of like open
drawers or shelves.  Look in the storage and organization aisle at Wal-Mart,
or whatever store you have out there.  Not with the baby stuff, but with the
storage containers and the like.

You can change the baby on your bed, if that would work, by using a plastic
pad with a cloth covering.  I think they're called all-purpose pads in the
baby stores, if I remember correctly.  You'll also want a diaper pail.  You
can just get a pail with a tight-fitting lid to contain the smell, and use
trash bags, or you can get one of the special ones that are sold to keep the
smell inside.  I'd personally just go with a pail and trash bags, as long as
the lid makes a tight seal.  I bought one of the specialty pails, and it
worked for a while, but by the second year we had to put it out on the porch
because the smell was leaking out even when it was closed, and then I got
tired of using it and just wrapped the diapers in bags from Wal-Mart anyway
so I didn't have to buy the special liners anymore.

If you get your baby used to napping in the swing, he or she will probably
take to it right away.  My baby was in a brace to fix a congenitally
dislocated hip, so she slept sitting up in her swing for the first few
months.  Then it was murder to try and get her to sleep lying flat, so if
you do the swing, be prepared to stick with it and then ease the transition
into a crib or a low bed.  Also, there are things called co-sleepers that
have three sides on them.  The fourth side goes right against your bed and
mattress, so that the baby is sort of in a crib, but on the edge of your own
bed.  That might work well for you because you can pick up the baby and feed
him or her, possibly even change a diaper, without getting out of bed at
all.  I wouldn't get rid of your bed with posts if the posts help you get
out by yourself, because you'll want your independence when the baby comes.

Keep on asking questions.  I've heard that seizures sometimes get better
during pregnancy because of the hormones.  Depression also often tends to
ease off during pregnancy as well.