[blparent] Suggestions about products helpful once baby arrives

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:16:25 UTC 2012

Yes , it just depends on what you really want and need.  We got our
convertible crib, dresser and changing table all for $250 on-line through
Baby's R Us.  They're not high quality but they have done the job and sure
saved the pocket book.  Kids are so hard on things when they're really young
and I also didn't want to worry or really care if our son wanted to put a
sticker on his dresser or something like that.  We can get him nicer stuff
when he's old enough to take care of it and then we can hand it down to him
when he leaves the home.  I'm especially glad we didn't spend big money on
the crib because our son only slept in it for 7 months from the time he was
3 months until ten months when we decided to co-sleep with him.  We have
already sold the crib since we're downsizing for San Diego and our little
guy will be able to sleep on his crib mattress when he's out of our bed
until he's big enough for a twin bed we have.

Lots of folks use dresser tops for changing, but see if you can screw the
changing pad into the table because it just takes a fraction of a second and
your baby has rolled off the table.  I know one too many people this has
happened to and they can't say enough about safety and how they never
thought it would happen to them because they thought they were being so
careful.  You won't be able to have your hands on your baby at every second
and so that's why it would be really good to secure that pad to the dresser.
For example, after changing a really poopy diaper I needed to leave my son
to go wash my hands because baby wipes are not going to kill the germs and I
didn't want to pick up my son until my hands were thoroughly cleaned.  When
the baby starts to get beyond the new born stage they get wiggly and move in
ways you never knew anybody but a gymnast could do. GRIN

Erin