[blparent] Kids and Meds

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Mar 31 17:05:25 UTC 2012

Right, and if medication can help you cope with different relationships and
situations in your life--I don't know where I would be without my medication
for depression, and now I'm taking other things for fibromyalgia--then why
deny that to a child?  Most parents that I know who give their kids
medication are also seeking out other avenues like therapy and modification
of the environment.  Online school, for example, is the best thing that ever
happened to my stepson.  Along with taking medications, the new method of
schooling is helping him get better grades than I've seen in the nine years
I've known him.  I only knew one parent ever who seemed to purposely give
her son medications to slow him down so she could keep up with him, and
although it was sad for him, I tried not to judge her because she was
terminally ill.  I just think the attitude in our society has gotten to
where parents who resort to medications are considered bad or lazy.  But
what if, as in our case, the dietary changes don't seem to bring results?
What if, as in our case, when you don't give the meds, you start having
serious trouble with the school and eventually the law?  A lot of people
simply need chemical help, and it's way more serious than using Tylenol to
bring down a fever.