[blparent] Healthy foods

Brandy W ballstobooks at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:35:10 UTC 2012

I'm a pretty healthy eater, and agree that if we are going to eat junk I
make it myself. This way I know at least there are no artificial colors in
it. I understand the frustration with not knowing what is in foods, and how
frustrating it is, but what I tend to do is make sure I know what my body
needs using a variety of recourses. I know that half our diet should be
fruits and veggies, so that is easy as fruit and veggies can be bought in
their purest form without much work. Then I work hard to buy quality meat
with only the occasional breaded prepared meat as a treat or for lunch. I
have low sodium so I don't tend to worry about salt intake when it comes to
pkg mixes for pasta and sides, but whenever I have people who it is a
concern for I just make it from scratch. As for cereal raisin bran is better
as the sugar is real not fake, and the grain it's self in the cereal is
better for you than the grain in say lucky charms. However I'm an absolute
cereal nut and could eat it for every meal, so I just buy what I want. It is
the one place I just except it probably isn't the best, but it is the grain
of the morning often times, but I only eat the 3/4 cup they say is a
serving, and try to pare it with a protein, and fruit.

As for nut butters I look at the engreadence. If the nut isn't the first
engreadent than I'm not buying it. My favorite peanut butter is Skippy
natural with honey. It has 4 engreadence and is yummy! Netella is just a
treat, and sometimes even eaten with the peanut butter.

You will never never find a poptart in my house! They are gross and bad for
you! Be careful with granola bars as many are simply glorified candy bars. I
actually buy some of them as treats, but not every time I shop. For granola
and cereal bars I buy cashi, and Barbra's. I know those are much better.
Sometimes I make my own, and got the recipe from www.mealmakeovermoms.com
along with other wonderful healthier eating tips.

Good luck it is a tough adventure.

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is
a spark."
- Victor Hugo

Brandy Wojcik  Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team leader
(512) 689-5045
www.playtoachieve.com
Follow me on Face Book at
http://www.facebook.com/PlayToAchieve.DiscoveryToys

Read my new blog at www.playtoachieveballstobooks.wordpress.com

Looking forward to helping you with your educational toy needs!