[blparent] And now there are two!

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed May 2 21:12:10 UTC 2012

Jennifer,

I don't know if you would remember, but you and I showed people one of the very first prototypes of the
KNFB Reader in Louisville, I think.  I have also worked a lot with Sunish and he would recognize my
name.

My two kids are teenagers now but it doesn't seem that long ago that they were one and four.  It always
seemed to me that moving from zero kids to one was far more challenging than moving from one to two, but
of course experiences can vary.  The thing is, some things are definitely a challenge, but some things
are somewhat easier.  For example, even when they are pretty young, they can start to entertain each
other once in a while.  That won't happen for you for a while yet, but it will probably happen sooner
than you might think.  One of the larger hassles is having to deal with two car seats, and I don't have
any magic answers there.  You will have two things to consider in dealing with that problem.  One is to
figure out what you are comfortable with, that is, when you feel that a car seat is not absolutely
necessary which will probably depend on a number of factors.  The second factor is what the laws
require.  The laws are not the same across state boundaries, for example, and they can even vary
depending upon whether you own the car.  There are some devices that would not meet the legal
requirements for a car seat but would offer a more portable approach that provides much better
protection than a seatbelt alone.  An approach such as this for a child toward the upper end of car seat
age might be acceptable when traveling to the national convention, for example.  Double strollers can be
nice, too, but they are also more bulky when not in use.  The presence of a younger child will stimulate
the development of vocabulary in your older child.  For example, when your youngest starts grabbing at
things, your older child will learn the word "Mine" faster than might otherwise have happened.  <smile>
Even the word "no" might come sooner.  However, I suspect that your older child has probably mastered
these two words and concepts by age two-and-a-half.

Anyway, I want to extend my congratulations to you and Sunish and also wish you the best of luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson