[blparent] Tips on Integrating Different Parenting Styles

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Sun May 6 06:37:53 UTC 2012

Hello Jo Elizabeth,

I like your approach with the kids because like you said, it's better to
teach the children in a fun manner and get them to do what is best for them
in a way that ultimately aids them in thinking independently for themselves
and wanting to do something because they understand how it's best for them
and not just because mommy or daddy told them to do it.  I have situations
that come up like this with my own husband, as does every couple and I would
try and really sit down with your hubby in a heart-to-heart fashion when
you're alone and talk about these such parenting styles.  If he feels heard
on your end and understands why you are teaching the children like you are,
then he may ease up on getting loud with the kids when he's frustrated in
the moment when they're not doing what they need to do as quickly as he'd
like.  Also, it's wonderful to be a united front as a couple on things with
the kids, however, if you're willing to sing songs and make eating dinner
fun for your daughter, then maybe your husband can allow himself to sit back
and relax in those situations and enjoy the show.  I think that your husband
simply doesn't understand how getting loud is breaking the kid's spirits and
taking the focus	 off of what he wants them to do entirely.  Please
keep us posted, because I'd love to know how this is going for you guys.

Erin