[blparent] School shooting drills?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Tue May 8 15:45:57 UTC 2012

        Sounds like you and Gab should read Gavin Debecker's book Protecting The Gift. She's old enough for you two to read it together and to talk about this stuff.
I agree we do have a culture of fear, but it doesn't have to be this way.
There are some very real things you and Gab can do to give her a feeling of power.

Both of you will meet people who wish to harm you.  There are things you guys can do so that you don't become victims.

She isn't too young to learn about this stuff.

As for fires, teach her that there are things that she can do.

Also, is she really afraid of this stuff, or is she using it as a buzz word to score some extra cuddle time? Nothing wrong with cuddling, but you do want to figure out if this is a real fear or if she's manipulating you.

Also, do you guys watch or listen to the news in the evening?  We used to and stopped because it was just too upsetting. You can find out what happened the next day.  Since you have sirius radio, I'd highly suggest music, old time radio and whatever sport you like.

I'd even stay away from the late-night talk shows as much of their humor is political and if you guys are already spun up, you don't need it.