[blparent] Advice: buying a house

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed May 9 16:12:37 UTC 2012

If there's a homeowners' association, get a copy of the covenance rules.
Get a copy of the HOA budget if there is one, broken down by how the money
is spent.  Many banks are hesitant to finance condominiums or town homes if
the HOA doesn't have sufficient money in reserve to fix common areas, roofs,
paint jobs, broken pipes, etc.  Talk to board members and neighbors about
how strict the HOA rules are and how they are enforced.  I've had nothing
but problems with the HOA where I bought, getting nit-picky about some rules
but not upholding their maintenance responsibilities, and I can't refinance
my mortgage for a lower interest rate because the HOA is all but insolvent.
However, one thing about buying a condo or a town home is that wile I can
own--which is better on your taxes, by the way, at least till the IRS gets
rid of the tax credit for interest on mortgages--I don't have to do a lot of
yard work or pay somebody to do it.

On another subject, make sure your realtor looks into programs for first
time home buyers, if you fit that category, and disabled buyers.  I say that
because I took advantage of a special program through HUD for disabled
buyers, but not all realtors may know about the program if you don't ask
them to look into it.