[blparent] house buying (accessibility to bus lines)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu May 10 14:47:59 UTC 2012

"Near a bus line" to a sighted person is quite different sometimes than
"accessible to a bus line" for a blind traveler.  Actually investigating the
walk from a prospective house to the bus stop you want is always the wisest
thing to do.  I was told that my town home was near bus lines, which it is,
I suppose.  But I don't use the bus much because one stop is too far away
for me to walk to comfortably, and the other one is across a very busy
street that I haven't felt ready to take Sarah over--or myself, when it
comes down to it.  If the bus is your preferred way to travel, as it was
mine for many years, then easy access to appropriate bus stops has to be one
of your highest priorities when looking for a house.  Otherwise, you're
going to feel stuck, and perhaps not go as many places as you otherwise
would, which wouldn't be good for you or your child.