[blparent] bringing children to theaters

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:35:28 UTC 2012

Awesome suggestions, thank you!

Erin

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Jo Elizabeth Pinto
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:45 AM
To: Blind Parents Mailing List
Subject: Re: [blparent] bringing children to theaters

Hi, Erin.  I first took Sarah to the movies myself when she was about three
and a half.  I later learned that she'd gone two other times with a
baby-sitter, which was fine because the movies she saw were kid friendly.  I
have a couple tips, learned the hard way, that might help.

First, make sure the movie is appropriate for kids.  That may sound obvious,
but you can't always tell from the previews, or even from the ratings.  I
took Sarah to see The Adventures of Tin-Tin, thinking it was going to be a
movie about a little white dog, as shown in the previews on TV.  Wrong!  The
dog, Snowy, was a small part of the movie, though heavily shown in the
previews.  The movie was actually about pirates, so there was a lot of sword
fighting, a shipwreck, a volcano I think, and one old sailor who drank rum
incessantly.  I had to cover Sarah's eyes and keep whispering to her that
the sword fights weren't real and nobody was going to get hurt.  She wasn't
particularly traumatized once the movie was over.  She started using empty
wrapping paper tubes to fight me and her stepbrother with swords.  But it
made for an uncomfortable experience at the theater.  I would have left the
movie, but there were no buses because it was a weekend, so my friend had
provided transportation.  It was my fault, and I'll check out any movies
from now on thoroughly online.

Next, keep a few quiet toys in your purse or diaper bag, just in case your
child loses interest in the movie.  I would also recommend bringing Cheerios
or something for your child because the only snacks you'll find at a theater
are candy, buttery popcorn, and sodas.

Then, scope out where the bathroom is before the movie starts, and sit in
such a place that you can get out of the theater quickly if your child isn't
still in diapers.  Kids' bladders are small, and they usually can't last
through a two-hour movie, while probably drinking soda or other beverages.

Finally, bring along your sense of humor.  Kids will often comment on the
movie, sometimes loudly, and they don't have grown-up filters in place yet.
When my cousin was three--she's in her twenties now--I took her to see Home
Alone.  There was a scene where a burglar got shot through a doggy door with
a slingshot, if I remember right.  What I do vividly recall was my
three-year-old cousin bouncing up and down on my lap (so I couldn't pretend
I didn't know her), waving her arms and laughing, and yelling so the whole
theater could hear, "He got shot in the wiener!  He got shot in the wiener!"

Embarrassing at the time but now I can laugh at the situation.

Good luck,