[blparent] List Topics

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Fri May 11 04:14:53 UTC 2012

Exactly!

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Jacobson
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:56 AM
To: Blind Parents Mailing List; Jo Elizabeth Pinto; Sheila Leigland
Subject: [blparent] List Topics

Hi,

I am not writing as a moderator, but have been the person doing backup for a
number of our lists for a long time and have been a member of this list
since it started.  I'm also a blind parent of two legally blind kids.

If we want a list to be successful, we have to accept that we won't always
agree on topics or even on the scope.  We won't always even agree with the
moderator.  If we can't smile and move on, this or any list will fail.

What we try to do on these lists is to keep them on topic but allow some
flexibility at least for short periods.  Sometimes it is hard to know if a
given topic is within the scope of a list until we see how it evolves and
then the moderator will make a decision at some point.  Is that such a bad
way to approach all this?

If one makes the case that anything that has to do with blindness has to do
with parenting, it can be made about most other lists as well.  We might as
well not have separate lists and just have one huge blindness list that
would soon have few subscribers because of its general nature.  I don't
think it has ever been said that buying a house should never have been
mentioned given that the original post seemed to concentrate on parenting.
But if one thinks about this some, many blind parents are not in a position
to buy a house, and many questions about buying a house are general in
nature and could be and have been raised on our general Blind Talk list.  It
seems resonable, when considering those facts, to end this topic and move on
at some point as the moderator has attempted to do.

We need this list, but that means we need to be able to bend because we're
part of a diverse group.  What do we tell our kids when they decide to quit
participating and take their marbles and go home?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 10 May 2012 03:24:11 -0600, Sheila Leigland wrote:

>If you leave the list I will miss your posts and I'm also happy that I have
kept your email address in my contacts list hope that is okay.