[blparent] Healthy kids, PE classes

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri May 11 22:56:49 UTC 2012

My brother in law teaches high school PE, and my cousin's husband teaches
elementary school PE.  They both still have dodge ball in their classes.
The problem is, they'll get a class of thirty kids with varying levels of
tolerance, interest, and ability when it come to physical activity.  Some
parents think they push the kids too hard, some think they don't push hard
enough.  At home, some kids are active at play, and some sit glued to their
video games.  Some have Pop Tarts for breakfast, some eat oatmeal.
Outlawing bake sales seems ridiculous and pointless.

In my daughter's preschool, they've done a "Food Friends" program.  She's
brought home stickers, necklaces, placemats, and a CD that feature Bella
Bean, Howie Hamburger, Rudy Radish, and other characters.