[blparent] questions about baby's well visit

Brandy W ballstobooks at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:06:33 UTC 2012

Hi, I asked my friend who has done extensive research on this subject, and
taught Bradley birth classes for several years her take on this subject, and
this is her response. I happen to agree, but before I replied I wanted to
get someone elses opinion.

I love kellymom, it is a great resource for the breastfeeding mom.  There is
simply tons of terrific information on medications for pregnancy and
breastfeeding, info on using herbs and other alternative treatments, and
info on vitamins, supplements and the like.  This article pretty much sums
up the issue.

My question to any parent would be "is there a problem?" So if the mom wants
to know if this recommendation by her doctor is necessary for her individual
situation, she should ask the doctor to "prove" that it is needed.  If a
blood test is done and hemoglobin is low then she asks the second question,
"is an artificial treatment the best/only option?"  There should be research
done on the pros and cons of each iron supplement process...food enriched
with iron, foods high in iron/especially organic ones, natural iron
supplements as in a liquid iron supplement, or the typical drugstore brand
of baby iron supplement, and of course how she can enhance her own
diet/supplementation so her breast milk is the most complete food for her
child.  Then, she, as the parent has the right to make her own decision as
to what is best going to serve her baby and her belief systems. If there is
not a problem then she can decline the treatment choosing to monitor the
situation with blood tests, wait until a problem arises, or weigh her
options and choose the one she can live with. There is a potential benefit
and risk of her choice and she, the parent, has the perfect means of
choosing what seems to make sense to her.

I did not supplement, I would not supplement unless it could be proved that
it was needed and then I would do plenty of research on the subject and pick
the solution that had the greatest number of benefits and least number of
"side-effects".

You might suggest that this mom, and other members of the group search
"mothering Magazine", Dr. Mercola's site, and then also search the La Leche
League Site for information.  This should give three very solid resources
for accurate, well documented research on which she might base her decision.
I would likewise suggest that if they want info that supports their doctor's
view they look at American Pediatric Association, and popular culture places
like baby center.  Dr. Sears may also provide some balanced insight. So,
this is probably one of those cases where the mainstream medical people will
think that not supplementing is neglectful and where the natural, educated,
and instinctual parent will look for an option that fits their family.  I am
in the later category,, but the above resources should lead a parent to
places where they will gain a thorough understanding for and against the
recommendation and thus be able to make a choice best for their situation.
It is not just to supplement or not, but also how to supplement or avoid
supplementation.  If you want my opinion, it is too not supplement, the
research I did suggested that supplement set the child up for more gut
issues than I was willing to subject our children with, and our doctor also
never recommended it...but there I also did my research and found a doctor
that is willing to provide treatment only when there is a reason/need, not
to involve himself in every possible opportunity to insert medicine in to
our lives. My kids are fine, and have always had excellent hemoglobin levels
which are commonly screened for in a standard blood test and said test was
only given when it was needed. I have three children who were all
exclusively breastfeed until sometime after 7-8 months and one was eleven
months, and all were breast fed 3 years or longer but were table fed with
healthy foods from the start and never given baby food or rice cereal or any
other "baby" feeding product.  That is my opinion, based on my research, and
hind-sight observation.  It is our decision as a parent and had there been a
problem we would have measured our options and made a decision that was best
for the child, which may...or may not...have coincided with that of the
standard of practice for the problem. I think every parent has that right.

The fact that the doctor says to do it and that everyone must do it, should
cause any parent to wonder just how educated the doctor is on any subject,
because, there is no medical advice that should be broadly proclaimed as
being appropriate for everyone.

BTW, the above sites will provide plenty of great information on Vitamin D
supplementation also.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is
a spark."
- Victor Hugo

Brandy Wojcik  Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team leader
(512) 689-5045
www.playtoachieve.com
Follow me on Face Book at
http://www.facebook.com/PlayToAchieve.DiscoveryToys

Read my new blog at www.playtoachieveballstobooks.wordpress.com

Looking forward to helping you with your educational toy needs!