[blparent] vitamin supplements

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:17:16 UTC 2012

Rebecca asks:
I don't know. Did your kid test positive for anemia? If your doctor
has so many concerns, why wasn't this test run?
There is / was no test. She says that it is standard procedure for
breast fed babies. Supposably breast milk does not have enough iron,
so if I am not goint to subject my child to fortified cereals, then I
should give my child an iron supplement.
Rebecca writes:
I'd like to believe that as the mom you'd know that "something isn't
right" but I've never met you. I'vealso met moms who ignored their gut
check.
Again, it is not about a pre-existing condition. My baby does not seem
to have anemia. At least, not the signs. she is only recommending it
because "breast fed babies should take an iron supplement, if they are
not eating fortified cereals." I initially wrote this post because I
don't remember this being the case 20years ago and wondered if there
were actual studies done and things that I need to be concerned about
-- or not.
Rebecca writes:
Also, if you dislike this doctor, why has it taken you so long to get
another one?
 If you felt you were being lumped in with a group that isn't you, why
didn't you speak up?
This is the third or fourth doctor that we have been to. It takes us a
couple of times (usually) to "feel a doctor out." I have not found one
pediatrician in my area that supports co-sleeping; which is a big
issue for me and DH.
the others were worse. the only ones that seem to be halfway decent
are not covered by our insurance... but, no, we have not gone to each
and every pediatrician.
I did speak up several time with my midwife. I chose a midwife hoping
that she would be more understanding about my concerns, but she was
just as bad as the mainstream medical profession. And, I could not pay
for someone out of  our insurance loop. I was trying to figure out
"why" she, my pediatrician, was so adamant about supplements: is there
new research, does she think that I just don't eat well, etc????

Rebecca writes:
Does your husband have any opinions? What are they? Do you agree or
disagree with him?
My husband comes from a country that does not place much-- if any --
value on preventative care or well baby visits... ... hence, the life
expectancy is lower. . If it were left to him, he would not take the
baby to the doctor for anything unless the baby was sick and we had
exhausted all of our efforts on getting him well. Many times I feel
that I am looking for the balance between mainstream doctor advice -
(which is not always correct) and my husband's views(which can also be
extreme). He believes all to well that this industry is quite the
"business" and "recommending vitamins" is just another way that the
doctors join with the pharmasudicals to tell us that we "need" their
product because we are not healthy enough. Apparently, we are more
healthy with a thinner pocketbook.