[blparent] where kids shouldn't ride

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Mon May 21 18:01:42 UTC 2012

Hello, Carla reminded me of a subject I thought I should approach as a blind
parent we are naïve.
It seems simple enough, our children should ride in the place on a shopping
cart designated for sitting.  It is in front and usually, but not always has
a seat belt and places for their legs to hang through.
Kids shouldn't ride in the basket as they can get their little fingers stuck
in the bars or if they stand up, they could fall and harm themselves.
They should never ride under the basket as they could smash or break their
hand or arm or get their hair stuck in the wheels.
They should never ride on the side of the grocery cart as it can flip over
and smash your child.

The last one happened to a friend of mine, sighted mom, sighted child and
the basket flipped and the child fell smashing his little head onto a curb
in the parking lot.  He died.
Gab  used to ride in the sitting spot and when she was too big, she'd hold
on to the basket.  No riding, no messing around.