[blparent] child locator

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue May 22 18:04:25 UTC 2012

I bought the Mommy I'm Here child locator on Amazon, which I believe ships
to Canada, at least in some cases.  The locator was under $30, can't recall
the exact price.  There were a lot of significantly more expensive locators
that didn't seem to offer any better value for the money than the Mommy I'm
Here model.

Some tips about the locator:

The teddy bear part that attaches to the child has only a belt loop style
clip, which you could slide a belt into.  If your kid isn't wearing a belt,
the bear will be hard to attach, unless you're smarter than I am and can
figure out a way.

Both parts of the locator, the teddy bear on the child and the keychain part
for the adult, have to be turned on and have good batteries.  I would advise
checking the locator every time before you are going to need it, since you
don't want one half or the other to fail because the batteries have died.
Again, make sure both parts are turned on.

The beeping is very loud, so it will grab your child's attention, and also
the attention of everyone else around.  I wouldn't advise using it over and
over again, like on a playground.  I save mine for emergencies.  I taught
Sarah that if she ever hears the beeping, she needs to run to me right away.
I don't mind the loud noise because if there ever was someone trying to
snatch my child, everybody in the area would know it and hopefully, respond
in a helpful way.

I guess what I'm saying is, the locator is more for emergencies, when you
really can't find your child, and not just to use as a check on which part
of the sand box he has gone to.  For those instances, teach him to call when
answered.  At three, he should be starting to understand this, although
he'll need reminders.  Sarah had to come in the house and sit on the stairs
in time out twice one day last week for not answering when I called.

Other audio tips on where your child is have been mentioned, such as bells
on his shoes or clothes, or those squeaky shoes that make sounds when he
walks.  A cheaper alternative is to put a pack of Tic-Tacs in his back
pocket, if you have those in Canada.  They're tiny breath mints in a plastic
box that rattle when they move around.  Or, if he's at a park and noise is
okay, give him a cazoo or a bulb horn like they put on bikes.  You'll know
right where he is.

Two bits worth of free advice.  Use what you can, forget about the rest.