[blparent] using an S.N.S. when blind

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Wed May 23 12:56:22 UTC 2012

Hi Erin,

We used a "homemade" SNS, involving a syringe and tubing. It really
was extremely frustrating, and I maybe used it twice before
transitioning (for a while) to exclusive pumping. I'm not saying I
wouldn't try it again, but it really was impractical. I don't know how
much of this had to do with blindness vs. the shape of my breasts and
Jacob's latch. I found the difficulty to be orders of magnitude higher
than I would have expected based on both the description of what
needed to be done and the lactation consultants' success in helping us
use it the first time. Even with help from my mother and sister, I
struggled.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Angie