[blparent] Garlic sundae, anyone?

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Thu May 24 03:58:20 UTC 2012

Thanks for sharing.

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Shelton
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:00 PM
To: 'Blind Parents Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [blparent] Garlic sundae, anyone?

Jo Elizabeth.  That is so funny.  I have a similar story.

I was to go on sabbatical to Canada for the summer.  For reasons unrelated
to the point of this story, the whole family was not able to go.

Before I got married -- my wife is sighted and had always done the cooking
-- I'd either lived in dorms, or just made out the best I could.  So, before
I headed for the Great White North, , I got a crash course in cooking, as a
blind guy.

That went really well, and I got to be reasonably handy in the kitchen.  I'm
OK with mobility and other living skills, so no worries.

My oldest son, 12, at the time, really wanted to go.  Big adventure --
father and son, off to Canada for the summer.  Since Rob (number 1 son) was
coming along, we didn't feel it necessary to label anything -- my wife
insisted on sending various staples, not knowing whether we could find them.

So, all went well.  We found the local grocer, walked everywhere.  The house
provided by the university was pleasant, and life was good.

So, one Friday evening, it had been a hard but very good week, I decided to
make my specialty -- beef stroganoff.  It was Rob's favorite, and if I say
it myself, I could do it pretty well.  I had all the ingredients which I'd
purchased locally and stored in places I knew -- everything except the
Lourie's Stroganoff seasoning -- the secret ingredient which I'd brought in
my suitcase.

It had been a long day.  Rob at that time doubled as my reader (screen
readers were just a dream then -- actually I was working on one at the time,
but it was still the bad old days when we had to depend more on LDPs) was
zoned out in front of the tube watching George of the Jungle -- Canadian TV.

So, I was browning the beef I'd just cut up, and was getting ready to put in
the seasoning.  "Bleep! -- where was the seasoning?"  I went back to my
stash of ingredients I'd brought, and there were two packages.  I grabbed
one, and brought it back to get Rob to confirm it was the right one.

"Rob -- is this the Lourie's stroganoff mix?"

"Huh?"

"Is this the stroganoff seasoning?"

"Uh, yeah... I guess so."

Wrong!  Turns out, it was AusTex taco seasoning.  To this day, the saga of
"taconoff" is still a favorite story in the family.  Rob, who will turn 40
this year, still claims that it was wonderful, but it seriously tasted like
"insert vile substance of choice."

Yes, I'll bet 30 or so years down the road Sarah will have fond memories of
her mom and the garlic sundae.