[blparent] Leash controversy

Karla Hudson hudson.kc at live.com
Tue May 29 18:12:46 UTC 2012

Hi list,

I think we all have to do what we feel is right to keep our children safe.
The leash (child tether) can be useful. Our daughter liked to push her
little stroller down the sidewalk when she was small. In order that she
could place two hands on the stroller I would put her child tether on her in
order that we could walk together and be certain she was not hit by a car
backing out of a drive way. However, this leash as some might call it did
not go around her neck but around her ribs. This was the only time we found
the tether useful. As I mentioned before my children are ages seven and ten
and still love to hold my hand. My husband and I feel as though the hand
holding has created a nice bond with our kids. Yes, when they were small I
did have situations where I had to tighten down on their hand to keep them
from straying. If you watch many parents in busy parking lots often their
children are just left free to run. This is so unsafe and always makes me
frustrated when sighted people think this is a good way to manage their
kids.

Karla