[blparent] O&M advice (Types of Canes)

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Tue May 29 18:50:07 UTC 2012

Hi.  I would also like clarification on this issue.  I have two canes, one
folding and one rigid, that look like they've been to hell and back because
I got them as a teenager and have never bothered to replace them.  I was
trained with a short cane, which is at about breast height for me.  I know
some people use longer ones that are about nose height and that, for some
reason, the longer canes have come to be associated with the NFB.  For me,
that association is neither negative nor positive.

I'm not a fast traveler anymore, with dog or cane, since I lost my light
perception.  That's fine because Sarah is usually with me, and we're in no
particular hurry.  I like to use my cane tucked up short.  I know some
people like to have their cane tips way out in front of them, which is none
of my business, except when I worked at a college where there were a lot of
blind students and staff, I used to hate getting whacked in the ankles,
usually several times before I could dodge out of the way, while someone
with a long cane four feet out in front of their shoes tried to figure out
what kind of obstacle I was.  My dog learned to spot and give a wide berth
to the "crazy canes" as I called them, usually with no offense to their
users.

Either way, I don't see what any of this has to do with being proud or
embarrassed to be blind.  I'm certainly not embarrassed to be blind at all,
but I'm not necessarily proud of it either.  To me, it's just a fact about
me, like the fact that I have long black hair or the fact that I like Peanut
M&M's better than the plain ones.

Anyway, long spin-up to a short question: Could somebody clarify the idea
that carrying a certain kind of cane somehow signifies that the user is
either proud or embarrassed to be blind?

Jo Elizabeth

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a
song."  Maya Angelou