[blparent] Sleepless Nights

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Nov 13 16:06:24 UTC 2012

Melatonin can be a very good solution for many people and is certainly worth a try.  However, people should be aware of the fact
that being natural does not mean it can't have side-effects.  I tried melatonin for close to a year, and while it made me sleep
well, I began noticing other changes for me.  I began having extremely bad nightmares, for example, the kind I remember
occasionally having when I was a kid, those kind where you are falling forever and such.  While I slept well, I found that I just
had a lot of difficulty learning new concepts just as if I were still very tired and that there was just sort of a fogginess.
Finally, I did some research going to the Mayo Clinic site, since I grew up in Rochester, Minnesota, and found that everything I
was experiencing was a known side-effect for some people.  I stopped taking melatonin and I did find I was again sleeping less
well, but the intense nightmares stopped and the sort of fogginess was at least reduced substantially.  There might be those who
would argue with me if I said my fogginess was gone.  <smile>  Anyway, this was all a real eye-opener to me.  I am in no way
trying to bad-mouth melatonin because it doesn't sound as though the effects I experienced were common, but one should be careful
to watch for side-effects.  I have also not been real happy with stronger sleeping aids, either, and therefore feel that it was
worth trying melatonin.  I have had some success with occasionally taking benedryl, but that is not a good approach for every
night.

I have had some negative experiences with sleep studies and have become a little skeptical of the sleep studies that involve blind
people.  However, I also know there is a lot about biology and the effects of sunlight and such that I don't understand, so I try
not to make blanket statements about such studies to the degree I have in the past.  Still, it is easy for us to think we're the
only people who have sleep difficulties, but I find sleep problems are fairly common among my sighted co-workers and Austin's
experience also shows that can be the case.  It is certainly possible that we have a higher rate, but I have always felt
uncomfortable with some of the conclusions because I did not feel that our higher unemployment rate and even higher amounts of
stress were taken into account.  I even read some statements that showed an ignorance of how blind people live.  Sleep is very
complicated.  My employer offered a lecture on sleep problems during work time and there was a room full of people, perhaps three
hundred, and I was the only blind person there.  What I fear is that some of the solutions that are based solely upon our
blindness may not really deal with the true problems related to sleep but may only treat a part of the problem.  Still, what I am
trying to convey is not that blindness couldn't play a role or that melatonin may not be a good solution, but rather that we need
to realize that answers are rarely all that simple and we need to be aware of the various pressures and side-effects that we
experience.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson