[blparent] Parenting with disabilities presentation

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Nov 28 18:21:50 UTC 2012

Taking the long view, I would like to see a thoughtful discussion, or maybe
remarks from adult children who grew up with disabled parents, to let future
social workers know that having disabled parents, in itself, isn't unfair to
children.  I think there's a reasonable amount of information, if someone
wants to search for it, on adaptations that blind people or those with other
disabilities make so that they can keep their children safe, deliver
medicine, handle homework, etc.  It's easy enough to go before a class with
a talking thermometer and have the students say, "Well, how about that!"
But many of them may have lingering misgivings about whether disabled
parents make their children too responsible for them, whether the children
miss out on important parts of their childhood, whether they look back with
regret, that kind of thing.  It varies from case to case--some disabled
parents are probably better than others at finding ways to make sure their
children get to be children, not little caregivers or home bodies.  But it
would be nice to let budding professionals know that children can, and
usually do, grow up healthy, happy, and well-adjusted, even though their
parents have done the job differently in some ways.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.