[blparent] Another Nebulizer Question

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 11 02:32:48 UTC 2012

I’m going to put in a call to the doctor tomorrow, but I’m hoping one of you nebulizer pros might be online tonight.  When we did a treatment at the doctor’s office, the medicine took between fifteen and twenty minutes to get turned into mist so Sarah could breathe it all in.  I was told that I have the same machine here at home.  I’ve followed the steps very carefully for pouring the medicine into the receptacle and putting the face mask in place.  But the medicine seems to go through awfully fast, in less than half the time, if that.  There don’t appear to be any adjustments on the compressor or on the mask apparatus.  What could I be doing wrong that would make the medicine go through so much faster?  And while we’re at it, any tips for keeping the little one still and wearing the mask would be greatly appreciated.  I do turn on a TV show, but so far, I’ve had to sit there and physically hold Sarah on my lap and keep one hand on the face mask so it stays in position.  Otherwise, she’s up squirreling around and losing the mask, or unplugging the hose from the unit.  I’m sure this will soon be same old same old, but right now, especially with the short course of steroids that’s turning out to be way too long because it keeps Sarah amped up and ready for a fight, it’s one step below pergatory.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.