[blparent] Diffusing Temper Tantrums (Part of Whose rules should take precedence?)

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu Oct 25 14:50:40 UTC 2012

Jodi,
I've had the same issues with sewing.
Unless you really want to learn to do this, there is no need. Dry cleaners will sew things, we had a dry cleaner sew up a hole in my daughter's favorite blanket.

They will also fix zippers and sew on buttons, though with kids clothes, it's often cheaper to just throw out the article of clothing and get a new one usually in whatever size the child is now wearing.

It really isn't economical to sew anymore either given that fabric and patern prices are much higher then they used to be.
My mom sews and loves it. She's the one that pointed out the economics of it (it used to be economical, now it isn't).
Nothing stopping you from learning how to sew if you would like, though from your post it sounds like you only care from a "what if" perspective.  In my mind that isn't enough reason to want to do it. It's like saying "I should learn how to fix my washing machine in case it breaks down" when given the complexity of washing machines, it's easier and cheaper to call a repairman.