[blparent] Please help me snap out of my pity party

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 00:19:32 UTC 2012

Jen,

Oddly, I didn't struggle much with my blindness or have pity parties
until I became a parent, and like you, it's about the little things.
Declan has come home on a G-button feeding tube attached to a pump, and
I have no qualms about operating this device or caring for his needs in
this way, but the minute I walk into his room to put clothes away, I
feel frustrated and upset that I initially require assistance to know
what clothes are what so I don't dress him like a circus clown. I have
come up with a system for this, but nonetheless, it bothers me.

Remember that all parents find their children making messes and getting
into trouble. Blind or sighted, this is just a part of parenting. Yes,
there are those times where sight probably would have prevented
something, but if this were the case each time, sighted parents wouldn't
have this problem either.

As a person who hates messes and becomes stressed when clutter is about,
I know how frustrating it can be to come across a mess. I also get tired
of constantly physically having to check on my kids instead of just
looking across the room. You can't be lazy when parenting without
vision, grin.

Penny, my three-year-old, is pretty advanced for her age. She doesn't
get into too much trouble, but she, like all kids her age, will get
every toy out and walking around the house is like walking through a
field full of land mines. The only time I really wish I had vision is
when we are out in public or at a park, and she doesn't respond when we
all her name. Again, instead of just glancing over at her, I have to
call her name or go to her.

With Declan's doctor appointments, I wish I had the luxury and
convenience of being able to drive myself. Actually, I wish I could
drive just in general. I am one of the ones who once could drive, so I
now miss it.

Just keep in mind that most of these concerns aren't necessarily related
to blindness, and when it is, it's usually not a huge deal. Just enjoy
those kids and don't let the other stuff get you down, though I know
this easier said than done, smile.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at: