[blparent] the meaning of no

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Sep 1 23:24:54 UTC 2012

I never caged my kid like a zoo animal.  She doesn't walk all over me now,
nor will she as a teenager.  However, I believe barriers are a perfectly
good tool to use, especially when there's something as dangerous as a
300-pound TV on a flimsy stand.  It wouldn't be worth the risk to me because
I know I'm human, and I could possibly, being human, have a lapse of
attention for just long enough to let the baby get into harm's way.  Believe
me, those little critters are fast, especially if they want to get something
that's been off limits to them.  I didn't use my play yard often, but if I
had to do something that required my concentration, like talking on the
phone or cooking dinner, I felt that my crawling baby was safer in a
confined space, with plenty of sensory toys to explore.  That's hardly being
caged, especially when it's for a short time and not done often.

Jo Elizabeth

I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's
brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and
died in cotton fields and sweatshops.--Stephen Jay Gould