[blparent] playgrounds and climbing structures

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 19 03:52:47 UTC 2012

Hi.  The great thing about this list is you can take the advice that works
for you, use it, and leave the rest.

I would worry about a leash getting tangled around parts of the structure or
around other children.  A retractible leash might be safer than just a long
one that doesn't retract.  Until your son is more steady on his feet, could
you maybe find parks that have sandboxes to play in, or structures that are
safer?  One suggestion might be a place like McDonald's or Chick FilA.  All
of the edges on those indoor structures are fenced off, probably to prevent
falls and lawsuits.  There are usually indoor playgrounds at malls as well.
Another idea to consider is taking a slightly older child with you to the
park, if you have a niece or nephew or a family friend.  The children could
play together, but you could give the older child some responsibility, which
many kids love, for keeping an eye on your son to make sure he doesn't get
close to the edges of the structures.  Kids love to help, and of course,
you'd be right there because you couldn't depend on a child one hundred
percent, but still, it might be a way to bridge the gap from being there
every step of the way to letting your son have more independence.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.