[blparent] New Parent Introduction

Tracey Turri turri.tracey at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:59:29 UTC 2012

Hello parents,
My name is Tracey, and I am expecting my first child in early Apr of
next year.  I have very little usable vision, just light, dark,
cullors and shaddos.  Being a parent has always been the one thing I
have wanted to acomplish in my life, I feal my purpus in life is to be
a mom, that said the fact I am blind has, and I am sure will present a
few more chalenges thrue this jurney than for a sighted mother.  My
fiancee Ian and I, (Ian is fully sighted by the way) are both very
excited to become parents and would love to get advice from others who
have been there.
One of my first questions is how to introduce baby and your guide dog.
 My yellow lab Pria I think all ready is guessing something is up with
mom, she's been more clingy and attentive over the passed few weeks
(maby the fact I've had morning sickness plays a roal in that?)  Plus
last week when we had the first altrosound she wasn't quite sure about
the woosh woosh woosh noise of the babies heart beting coming out of
the computer, Ian thinks she thought the doctor was hurting me.  We've
been giving her the usual amount of attention and walkies, work and
leasure, and trying to keep her ruteen as normal as possible, but I
would like her to be prepaired once little one comes home.
I am so greatful that their is a list for blind parents to unite and
support one another with out worrieing about someone trying to take
our children away if were having a little bit of a hard time.  In kace
you couldn't tell, that's something that really worries me, someone
making an arbitrary judgment that I shouldn't be aloud to parent just
because of the blindness issue.
Ok, reading back over this, I find that I am blabbing, so I'll stop
now, but I am looking forward to learning from and hopefully making
new friends with you.
Have a blessed day,
Tracey