[blparent] New Parent Introduction

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 19 18:15:03 UTC 2012

Hi Tracey.  Congratulations on the beginning of your awesome journey into
motherhood.

My daughter is four and a half years old.  I have a black Labrador guide dog
that I had for about four and a half years before my baby was born.  She got
pretty stressed out because first my boyfriend moved in with me, and then I
had a baby.  The best thing I can tell you is to let your dog give you the
cues.  Mine did eventually get used to things.  Be sure to lavish attention
on your dog the same after the baby comes as you do now.  It will be hard to
remember sometimes, but taking that extra moment to give a pet or toss a
ball will make all the difference.

As to people who have doubts about your ability to parent, just be calm and
confident without appearing arrogant.  Introduce yourself to the nurses on
the labor and delivery floor ahead of time, maybe when you go to birthing
classes or register for your hospital stay.  Then too, admit when you need
help.  If you don't have much experience with infants, that's okay.  A lot
of sighted people go into parenthood without much experience.  Take
advantage of any classes your hospital might offer in baby care,
breastfeeding, or the like.  If you think you might need it, there are home
health nurses who can visit you in your home before and after your baby is
born.  Build your network of friends and family because believe me, blind or
sighted, you'll need help as a new mom.  Sometimes that might just be
someone to come mind your baby while you take a relaxing shower or a nap.

The NFB publishes an illustrated booklet called "Parenting Without Sight."
Consider ordering a couple of the free booklets to give to your doctor, the
hospital social worker, and the nurses.

Also, the Hadley School for the Blind teaches a three-part course on
parenting basics.  I learned a great deal from the course.

Good luck, and feel free to ask lots of questions of the list.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.