[blparent] New Parent Introduction

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Sep 20 06:13:41 UTC 2012

We are extremely blessed to live in a place and time where childbirth is
almost always safe for moms and babies.  After my C-section, the doctor told
my boyfriend that I could have pushed till the end of time, and my baby
would never have come out with the way her head was turned.  He said a
hundred years ago, he would have had to look my boyfriend in the eye and ask
him which one of us to save, me or the baby.  There was no sure way to sew a
woman up after opening the abdomen and uterus, and the only other options
were to let the mother push till she died of exhaustion or take the baby out
in pieces.  It really gets under my skin when people complain that doctors
in this country are too quick to intervene with C-sections and other
emergency measures.  Maybe they are, but to me, it seems better than the
times, even as late as our grandparents' day, when almost every family lost
at least one baby, often more, and countless women still died in childbirth
as well.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.