[blparent] About labor pains

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 11:51:15 UTC 2012

Yes, I totally agree that one's mental state is hugely crucial in order to
help manage the pain.  This is largely effected by everything from position
of mom during labor to who she has there to support her and coach to the
physical environment of the labor and delivery room.  However, sometimes
there are physical reasons that even the most prepped mom cannot help that
play a part in the level of pain.  I for example had a beautifully
comfortable room with calming music that I picked just for labor, an
unbelievable supportive hubby at my side coaching me through it all and a
ton of mental control over my pain.  When the doc through me in a lay-down
only position because of the monitoring though this changed a lot of things.
I tried very hard to deal with the pain in a productive fashion but
physically my body was in one of the worst positions for me and my son to
have a productive labor because of how he was positioned.  They wanted me to
remain laying down because the medical staff could get the best monitor
reads on me and baby but it was truly counter-productive because I feel that
it was also making our situation worse.  I found myself stuck in a world of
helpful and necessary medical technology and doing what's natural to aid in
getting our son out.  When I got up to go to the bathroom the pain reduced
tremendously and I wanted more than anything to stay upright in a squatting
position because my body was telling me that's what I had to do to help get
my baby out.  The doctor and nurses couldn't get much of a read for some
reason on how our son was doing when I was in that position which put them
all in a panic so then that made me worry.  This is why we eventually
decided to go forth with a C-Section and because there was meconium in the
water and you don't want to mess around with baby swimming around in that
for very long.  Something huge that I learned when having our son is that
the monitors while absolutely wonderful devices, they are also surprisingly
sensitive things that could work well or not work well from moment to
moment.  I was allowed to move from side to side while laying down but the
nurses were having to constantly come into my room to adjust the monitors
which didn't help me relax.  Thank God my husband was as wonderful as he was
and he just kept touching me and telling me how great I was doing.  Finally,
when I went ahead and got an epidural I felt human again and told my husband
to take advantage and go get himself some dinner.  He later thanked me
tremendously for doing this because he really needed to physically refuel
but wasn't about to say anything with me needing him and laying there in
agony.  Something we never thought about doing in all of our detailed
preparation was packing an actual real meal for my husband while I was in
labor.  This is something to consider for new parents out there because the
hospital isn't going to have anything for folks until after the baby is born
and even then family will end-up eating off of mom's food tray.  That brings
me to another point before I finally finish this volume I'm ending-up
writing.  Mom's, order as much food as you can for your meals so that
whoever is with you in the room for support after baby is born can also eat
off of your tray.  We were told by the hospital during our labor class that
dad's will get a meal along with mom in the hospital but when it came down
to it this wasn't the case.  My husband had to run-out for his food while I
was eating mine which made things very difficult since that's when baby
wants to nurse or be held or whatever and there's no one in the room to help
just so you can get some food in your stomach.  One of my lactation nurses
or who I liked to call my Booby Angels told me to just order a lot of food
when they come with the menu each day and then dad get his food to and stay
with me.  I thought this to be a great idea and it worked beautifully and
none of the hospital staff cared one bit.  So for example, when they ask you
if you want eggs or oat meal or a breakfast sandwich as one of the
categories on the breakfast menu, just say yes, yes and yes. SMILING

Erin