[blparent] talking crayons

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Sep 26 21:02:21 UTC 2012

I bought a Dora the Explorer set of six talking crayons on the NFB site, but
I've heard they're also available at Wal-Mart.  The crayons don't actually
talk.  There's a module that comes with the crayons.  Dora sings her famous
theme song, then asks the child to find a crayon of a particular color.
When the child plugs the correct crayon into the module, Dora talks about
the color in English and Spanish, and spells the English color name.  So the
set is really meant for a sighted child to choose colors and learn about
them.  If there are actually crayons that a blind person could hear and use
by color, I'd love to hear about those.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.