[blparent] on public transportation with a baby

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:00:06 UTC 2012

Yes, yes, yes!  This is all so true.  I took public transportation all the
time when I was living in Portland, Oregon but that's because they have
excellent transit.  When my son was a new born and I was living in Tucson
Arizona the transit there stunk and it was often-times way too hot to do
long trips using public transit with a little baby and black guide dog so I
often took para-transit there and it worked great.  I'd check with what your
para-transit rules are but from my experience most cities do not charge
extra for a child under a certain age.  Usually this is around 5 or 6 years
old and then after they do reach that age you can add them to your
information with the para-transit company as a PCA or Personal Care
Attendant so they can continue riding for free.  You can only do this with
one child however so if you have a second child over a certain age then
you'll have to pay extra.  Before living in Tucson I hardly ever had taken
para-transit but with a new baby in a stroller and car seat it was a really
nice way to travel because I was able to use the lift on the bus to get the
stroller on board and they'd just strap the stroller into a wheelchair spot
without me having to fold it.  Now remember that this was para-transit and
not the public bus so they have different rules and each company has their
own rules as well.  I then would either take my son up the stairs in his car
seat or let him have a ride on the lift.  In Tucson the bus stops are rarely
covered which is insane for a city that has almost 365 days of son and 6
months of intense heat each year.  The bus stops are also a mile or two
apart and only in certain areas.  This was not an accessible city by any
means so getting rides with friends or taking para-transit was best for us.

Now that we live in San Diego we've never taken para-transit as of yet
because the public transit is very good.  It's not quite up to Portland
standards but it's a close second.  I have a bus stop right outside my house
and the trolley is only 2 blocks away so it doesn't get better than that.
The drivers have been very helpful here and I often times just ask the
driver if they can run me over to my next bus bae if I'm at a transit
station and need to catch a connection.  I know where to go to get my next
bus but it has proven so much more helpful to have the driver or another
passenger who's willing to aid me in finding the next bus stop quickly so
that I'm not trying to lug everything I have with a baby and guide dog while
trying to find the signs.

Erin