[blparent] On independence

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Sep 30 04:53:04 UTC 2012

I agree, Bridgit.  In fact, I've witnessed passengers getting on a bus
asking sighted moms who had too many things to carry if they could help with
strollers and bags.  It's just a polite and helpful thing to do.  But I've
sometimes felt pressure from the blind community to handle everything by
myself, just to prove to the world that blind people don't need help, I
guess.

I was at a busy bus stop hub once during rush hour, where many buses and
light rail trains came and went.  There was a blind guy standing in the
middle of the bus lanes.  He seemed disoriented and unsure of where he
wanted to go.  Somebody went over and asked if he needed help, and he quite
rudely said no, he could get where he was going just fine, and nobody should
assume he couldn't just because he couldn't see.  The stranger who had
offered help said quite calmly, "Well, sir, if you are on your way to
interview for a job as a hood ornament, you're in the right place at the
right time.  Otherwise, you might want to let me help you out of the middle
of the bus lane."

Was the prospective hood ornament doing more for the cause of blind
independence by refusing the offered help, and singlehandedly stopping
traffic at one of the busiest transportation hubs in the city?  Or might he
have been more wise to accept a sighted guide with a simple thank you and
gone on with his life?  My vote would be for the second option.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.