[blparent] Feds Fault Preemie Researchers For Ethical Lapses

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Apr 12 23:14:32 UTC 2013

I do know they've come a very long way in preemie care since I was born in
1971.  When I popped out, the bag of waters hadn't broken, and the way my
mom tells it, they just brushed me aside and started taking care of her.
Then one of the doctors saw my feet kick in the sack out of the corner of
his eye, and he said, "Oh, I guess the baby isn't dead."  So they ruptured
the bag and showed me to my mom.  Sixteen inches long, two pounds and two
ounces,nothing but skin and bones.  She said I looked like a Rhesus monkey.
The doctor told her not to get attached because I wouldn't live through the
hour.  My dad got there, having been summoned back from a short business
trip, and they arranged an emergency baptism.  I wasn't supposed to live two
hours, then four, then I'd never make it through the night.  I understand
the grim predictions were meant to shield my parents somehow, but my mom
took the warnings of the doctors to heart and didn't get attached, and I
honestly think her holding back emotionally did lasting and permanent harm
to our relationship.

I went into the incubator, not to come out for the next few months at all.
Nowadays they encourage parents to touch their babies through the ports in
the incubator if possible, and they have skin-to-skin contact and kangaroo
care so the babies can be held and carried around while still hooked up to
the oxygen.  A friend of mine had a preemie and described it all to me a few
years ago.  But when I was born, standard procedure was to protect the baby
from possible infection by touching as little as possible, and then only by
the hospital staff.  Because of that, a lot of babies who spent a long time
in incubators developed an aversion to touch, and their parents had trouble
bonding with them when they came out because they'd spent a few months
watching the baby under glass but had virtually no contact.  My mom said
when it was time for me to leave the hospital, a nurse got me out of the
incubator, wrapped me up, and handed me to her, and her first thought was,
"What am I going to do with that?"

Then too, the effects of the oxygen weren't completely understood, so my
eyes weren't tested.  My mom took me home, and I didn't want to be touched
or held, partly because I wasn't used to it and partly because I couldn't
see anyone coming at me, so I was just scooped up out of nowhere.  She said
I would fight and scream and try to wriggle away from people.  Hardly the
stuff of bonding.  They didn't know I was blind till months later.

Sorry for the novel, but I hope other people share.  This is fascinating to
me, and especially the progress that has been made over the last forty or
fifty years or more, because with any luck, things are very different now.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.