[blparent] Better programs to consider

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Apr 20 10:24:00 UTC 2013

Hi Pipi, I know how badly you want to go to the Colorado Center.  I know
how you love Savanna.  But I must warn you: it costs $5,000 to house
someone at CCB.  Plus, NFB does not pay for child care at CCB.

1.  Do you have anyone you know, who is a family member, who is sighted,
whom you can trust, in the Denver area?  If no, there goes another
stumbling block.

2.  Have you thought about moving out here to Los Angeles?  Out here,
Braille Institute can help you, and all services are at no charge to you,
and all that requires is someone who can help you.  That will eliminate CCB
entirely.

3.  Have you asked about the Foundation for the Junior Blind's Davidson
Program for Independence?  (DPI?)  Again, eliminating CCB?  I will make
this promise to you, Pipi: Your best option is DPI.  Ask Rehab for a
referral.  Now, here's my promise: If you decide to come out here, I will
personally come out to meet you, acclimate you to paratransit, and get you
in touch with the people who work at the Junior Blind of America.  And for
Savanna, there is the Blind Childrens' Center.

And you'll have me to help you!  So why waste money with CCB when
NFB-like philosophies are being taught at Braille at no charge, and at JBA,
for cheaper money than CCB?

Think about it.  I care.
..

Eric from Los Angeles.  May 2013 be the best ever, and may the rest of
your life be a joyous occasion. Eric on Facebook: eric at pmpmail.com.  On
Night Talk: 914-940-1028.  Confidentiality Notice: This email is for the
sole use of its its intended recipient(s).  Please consider before
forwarding.  Any communication deemed to be slanderous, obscene or
inappropriate in any way may be subject to blacklisting without notice.
recipient(s) are hereby reminded that harassment, at any time, will not be
tolerated.   c+,aber, an objectionable email may be a deletable email.
Thank you for your cooperation.