[blparent] 15 Month old loves the dog's water bowl

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 03:24:25 UTC 2013

On 8/3/13, Sameer Doshi <sameer.doshi at gmail.com> wrote:
> My 15 month old daughter loves the dog's watering bowl.  If she gets bored
> she will RUN to the bowl, splash her tiny little hands in it, or pick up
> one end of it causing water to go everywhere.
> My poor little pooch needs her water out, but I'm not sure how to get my
> daughter to stop spilling the water.   My wife and I've tried stern "No!",
> tried making sounds, clappin gour hands etc when she gets close to the
> bowl, but nothing seems to deter her.
> It's also a problem because I can't put the bowl in a place that is
> dog-accessible and not baby-accessible.
>

> --
> Sameer Doshi
> Sameer.Doshi at gmail.com
> O: 630.863.7997
> H: 630.410.8397
> C: 617.388.9396
> PAC: http://illinoisvisionforward.com
> Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sameer-Doshi/674423605907385
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blparent_nfbnet.org/jen10514%40gmail.com

That's interesting! My 15-month-old daughter would also love to splash
in any kind of water if we'd only let her, including the dog's water
bowl and the toilet. Something about splashing is irresistible to her.
So we're contending with the same problem and there are two solutions
we've found: (1) get her hands out of the dog bowl or the toilet as
quickly as possible and take her to wash her hands, letting her splash
the water in the sink; or (2) since it's summertime over here and warm
enough, find something else that's safe to splash in, such as a
plastic bucket of water that she can play with outside--supervised, of
course. I let her splash in the tub too, when she takes a bath. I hope
these children will figure out somehow where they can splash and where
they can't. Another solution is to just redirect her to some entirely
different toy or game.

Jen