[blparent] welcome Gloria

Tracey Turri turri.tracey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:35:00 UTC 2013

Hello,
Congrats on getting to 18 weeks, so exciting!  The first movements I
felt were like little taps, and happened most often when I was hungry.
 As a matter of fact at 32 weeks, my baby still lets me know loud and
clear when “she’s” hungry, and I don’t expect that to change a bit
after she’s left the warm watery place.  If I wasn’t paying attention,
I could have missed them, so if you’re not feeling anything definite
yet I wouldn’t be worried.  Have they done an ultrasound on you yet?
Sometimes if you have a low-lying placenta, it can make it harder to
feel baby’s movements.
My pregnancy has been good for the most part, I had really bad morning
sickness in the beginning up to around 16 weeks, but after that things
have been wonderful.  I love being pregnant and having that connection
to my daughter, it’s the coolest thing when I feel her kicking and
moving around.  Now she’s moving so often and kicking so hard, Ian
loves to play with her to, tapping the out side of my belly and
talking to her, and she will kick in response.
As far as preparation goes, one thing I would really suggest is going
to a baby store, or even a local target to check things like car seats
out before buying them.  For me the stroller was a big purchase, and
my husband and I tried out several mottles before we found something
that we could both use, and number one was safe for me to use with my
guide dog.  We got the Chicco keyfit travel system, and paid out the
butt for it, but it fit our criteria.  It can be pulled behind a
person, and has an adjustable handle bar to make it easy for the
shorties like me.  Also the front and back wheals are sepret, meaning
the front ones can turn independently of what the back ones are doing
making it super easy to maneuver in tyte spaces etc.  If I had just
read the reviews on line, I would have most likely said, “no way, this
thing is too expensive and the features just couldn’t make it worth
it,” but after trying it in the store and out in the parking lot I was
sold.  FYI, not affiliated with them in any way, but I just had no
idea that a mainstream product could make things so easy.  I pushed my
SIL’s graco monster stroller around, and thought if that was as good
as they got, I’d be using a carrier for most of the time because for
pulling, it just wasn’t maneuverable enough for me.
If you’re going to use formula, I’ve herd there are ways to make it
easier like using premixed formula, then all you have to do is fill
the bottle to the top and put on a nipple.  I would be hesitant to use
powdered formula with out sighted assistance because if the mix isn’t
just rite, or you don’t shake it enough, the powder can clump up in
the nipple and make it so the baby can’t nurse.  One of the many
arguments that has me convinced to giving breastfeeding a try. Lol
My husband and I got a talking ear thermometer that we can use with
the little one, and from what I’ve seen and been told, most infant
medicines come with their own droppers. I’m sure there is a way to
know when you’ve filled it up to the top, and after you’ve practiced a
few times, you should be able to do it by feel.  Both my parents are
blind, so I do no it can be done. Smile
Sorry for the novel, but I hope it was a little bit helpful.  A
question for you, how has your doctor been about you being blind?
Mine don’t seem to really care, but it’s a malty doctor practice, and
they don’t take that much time with any patient to get really involved
in our lives.
Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress, and of course if you
have any more questions!
You can email me at turri.tracey at gmail.com