[blparent] guide dog training

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Mon Jan 14 14:57:21 UTC 2013

We don't know you or your family, we can't possibly know if it will work out or what you mean by that.
I found using a dog to be miserable after I had my daughter mostly because the needs of a dog and the needs of a human, at least my human didn't fit the same architecture. The kids need to be in bed, the dog needs a brisk walk, no other adult is present, well the dog doesn't get the walk they need.
Or you are out all day, you stay out longer then expected, obtaining food for the humans is easy, human food can be had anywhere, dog food less so.

Going away to get your dog should be a piece of cake. Coming home on the weekends should work very nicely. *Being* home with your dog and trying to integrate the needs of everybody may be the tricky area.
You know the personality of your kids, that's not something you can know before you have a baby which is when I was a dog user.  You can and should tell the school what type of personality you need in a dog.  How do your kids feel about the dog? Has this been handed down to them from on high, or have they invested in what you need to do? Is the older one willing to "keep an eye on my brother" while you take the dog out to relieve?  If not, you will be worn out by a dog that needs to go potty outside and needs you to be present while you have kids that need you inside and know you need to be outside with the dog.

You have a lot of things stacked in your favor. This can very easily work for you.  There is no way though that we can assure you that hings will be ok with what you've written.  I'm not even sure how you are defining success. If you'r easking the list to reassure you that your husband and kids won't burn down the joint while you're gone, yes, we can probably do that.  If you're asking "Will my kids, husband dog and I ride happily into the sunset". No, there is no way any of us can assure you of that.
Realize too that guide dog schools have been around forever. They aren't going anywhere. If you try it and don't like it, now six months from now, or whenever, it's fine. Nothing terrible will happen to you or your family. I say this because nobody talks about this aspect and when they do it's with a sense of shame. You don't need to feel that shame. Go and have fun and enjoy the experience. There's nothing quite like your first dog. Let the future take care of itself.