[blparent] outgrowing strollers?

Jennifer Jackson jennifersjackson at att.net
Wed Jan 16 19:36:52 UTC 2013

All three of my boys started doing a lot more walking after they were two,
but more by their own choice as I did not have them in strollers. They
started climbing up and over my head to get out of the back pack so it was
pretty clear. :) Are there strollers for bigger kids?

I found it best to just be prepared for them to want to do some walking and
riding in different combinations. I used a harness, but you would not have
to if your little one does not mind keeping his hand up for long distances.
It did slow us down a great deal, but I would generally walk with one as
long as he wanted and then help him back up into the back pack, on to my
shoulders, or into the sling.

My oldest could not have walked 3 miles until he was much older. His walk to
school during pre-school was 5/8 of a mile from my house and I always ended
up carrying him for at least half of the walk home no matter how slow and
easy I kept the pace. My attempts to train my middle child to walk instead
of being carried when he was two were an abysmal failure. I was highly
motivated too as I was pregnant and was wanting him to be used to walking
more before his brother was born. We had two attempts a day at this problem
when we took his brother to and from school.

This two to three year old time is really the most awkward for traveling
with little ones for all moms, but especially so for those of us trying to
walk or use public transportation. The whole toileting thing can complicate
this too because it is just not reasonable to assume a little one will not
need to go during this time.

I hope I have not made it sound like a horrible ordeal. It is really just a
matter of being realistic and flexible. Please let us know how you work it
out as I am sure other mothers will be struggling with this same issue.

Jennifer